Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Flashback

Finally I have time to tell you about my one year anniversary!
Hubby was back in town saturday and we went out to my favorite restaurant for oysters and champagne to celebrate. He was all smiles, relaxed and didn't bring up work even once. As a gift I received not jewelery (!!) but tickets to go to St Barths in April instead. The whole evening was very romantic and I was reminded all over again why I fell for him in the first place.
I love looking back at how we met... I was a senior in college and went to a cocktail party with my (then) boyfriend (I wasn't in love with him, it was more for show than anything else). The hostess of the party was madly in love with my bf and as she drank more and more it became more and more obvious. The climax was when she threw her drink in my face. I fled to the ladies room to save what I could of my favourite cashmere sweater. I stood by the sink sobbing as I felt a hand on my shoulder, I turned around and that was the first time I laid eyes on Hubby.
"Dry your eyes, Princess", he said - in French! "Tears don't suit a dollface like yours".
Despite the cheesy line he seemed sincere. Plus, I'm a sucker for French (I later learnt he had just moved back from France and wanted to see if 'the language of love' could help him woo women)
"Here, take my jacket and let me take you shopping for a new sweater tomorrow".
My boyfriend was chatting away in the living room and I left without telling him. A week later I learnt he was dating my attacker. But I couldn't have cared less. Hubby was mine. No matter how 'independent woman' you are, you still secretly want to be "looked after". Hubby made me feel cared for, safe and adored.
"I want to spend the rest of my life taking care of you", he said after just one month of dating. And I knew I'd let him.

No comments: